I love how a good red lip can instantly make you look classy and put together even though you did not get enough sleep the night before. There’s just something magical about it – how it can make you look more fresh, awake and just ready to take on the day.
If you ask me what I feel is the most empowering lip color, I would say a vibrant red lip. To me, it denotes power, authority, a certain i-dont-give-a-f*ck attitude. I was looking through my collection and I was pretty surprised that I had 7 red lipsticks – but it’s alright since I absolutely love all of them.Some are very similar in tone, but different in texture, some are easier to wear than others. So enough babbling here are my sexy 7:
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in 547 Pleasure Me Red – a very pretty deep red shade. Very easy to wear, pigmented and has a slight sheen.
- Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in F-Bomb – a true red. This is my #1 red lipstick at the moment. I wrote about this in detail – check it out here.
- NYX Elektra – My first in-your-face red lipstick. A true red, formula is easy to wear and very pigmented. Price-wise, it’s amazing too!
- Chanel Rouge Coco in Gabrielle – A beautiful red, i also wrote about this in detail. Check it out here.
- Mac Matte Lipstick in Russian Red – This used to be my favorite red. The color is perfect and it is very pigmented but a bit drying due to it’s matte formulation. This has since fallen to the #3 spot!
- Lancôme L’Absolu Rouge in 160 Rouge Amour – I love Lancome lipsticks and this is no exception! This is slightly on the sheer side and is great to wear in the summer.
- Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet – a deep red – slightly more mysterious than the more vibrant true reds, this is very sheer and is great for everyday!
I guess another reason why I love the red lip is also because my maternal grandmother loved it! I have many distinct memories of her putting on her signature red lip and when asked what color lipstick she would like as her pasalubong from my dad’s international travels, she would always say, “Pula pula guid!” (very very red). I miss you very much, Lola Mommy – oh the fun we would have had playing with make up, hunting for the perfect red lip and all things kaartehan!
I think now that I have more than enough true reds, I should be getting more darker reds and orangey reds, no? Ha ha ha *wink wink* #FindingAnExcuseToBuyMoreLipsticks